Call for 2020 Millennium Technology Prize Nominations: 1 April–31 July 2019
The Millennium Technology Prize is awarded for groundbreaking technological innovations that benefit millions of people around the world by:
- enhancing quality of life
- promoting sustainable development and mitigation of climate change
- generating applications with global commercial viability
- creating new socio-economic value
- stimulating further cutting-edge research and development in science and technology
Nominations from around the world are invited, from all fields of technology, excluding military technology. Special emphasis is placed on proposals related to:
- energy and the environment
- life sciences, including health and food
- information and communications technology and smart systems
- new materials, processes and manufacturing
How to nominate a candidate for the 2020 Millennium Technology Prize
Who can nominate candidates for the Prize?
Nominations are invited from organizations such as universities, research institutes, academies of science and technology, companies and industries.
Who is eligible for the Prize?
The Millennium Technology Prize can be awarded to an individual or to a team of any nationality. All individuals who deserve the Millennium Technology Prize for the proposed innovation must be named in the nomination. The Prize is intended for innovators in the active stage of their careers.
How does one prepare and submit a nomination?
The nominator must contact the nominee(s) in advance to request permission for the nomination. Self-nominations are not accepted. All nomination materials are to be provided in English and submitted by 31 July 2019 at:
Process and schedule
- 1 April–31 July 2019: Call for the 2020 Millennium Technology Prize nominations
- Fall 2019–Winter 2020: Evaluation of the nominations
- Spring 2020: Decision of the 2020 Millennium Technology Prize winner(s)
- 26 May 2020: Announcement of the 2020 Millennium Technology Prize winner(s) and the Award Ceremony
For specific enquiries concerning the Prize and the nomination process, please contact:
Dr. Ari Ahonen
CEO, Technology Academy Finland