Call for 2020 Millennium Technology Prize Nominations is closed.
For the Millennium Technology Prize, nominations are welcome from around the world, from all fields of technology, excluding military technology. Special emphasis is placed on proposals related to: energy and the environment; life sciences, including health and food; information and communications technology and smart systems; and new materials, processes and manufacturing.
The Millennium Technology Prize is awarded for groundbreaking technological innovations that benefit millions of people around the world.
Who can nominate candidates for the Prize?
We welcome nominations from organizations such as universities, research institutes, academies of science and technology, companies and industries.
Who is eligible for the Prize?
The Millennium Technology Prize can be awarded to an individual or to a team of any nationality. All individuals who deserve the Millennium Technology Prize for the proposed innovation must be named in the nomination. The Prize is intended for innovators in the active stage of their careers.
How does one prepare and submit a nomination?
The nominator must contact the nominee(s) in advance to request permission for the nomination. Self-nominations are not accepted. All nomination materials are to be provided in English.
2020 Millennium Technology Prize: Process and schedule
- 1 April–31 July 2019: Call for the 2020 Millennium Technology Prize nominations
- Fall 2019–Winter 2020: Evaluation of the nominations
- Spring 2020: Decision of the 2020 Millennium Technology Prize winner(s)
- 18 May 2021: Announcement of the 2020 Millennium Technology Prize winner(s) and the Award Ceremony
(The 2020 Announcement and Ceremony have been postponed due to the pandemic.)
Read more: 2020 MTP Call for Nominations Brochure
2022 Millennium Technology Prize: Process and schedule
- 2.8.–31.10.2021: Call for the 2022 Millennium Technology Prize nominations (more information during the spring 2021)
- October 2022: Announcement of the 2022 Millennium Technology Prize winner(s)
For enquiries concerning the Prize and the nomination process, please contact:
Dr. Eeva Sievi
COO, Technology Academy Finland